Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cholestasis of Pregnancy

Okay, so during this pregnancy (which is my second), I've been experiencing some serious itching.  I'm so itchy that I don't sleep at night.  Cortizone cream only helps a little, and I can't even begin to get all the spots.  I'd have to cover my entire body.  But mostly my legs and arms, feet and hands, and belly itch.  My doctor was concerned of possible Cholestasis, so she had me tested.  Cholestasis is a specific liver condition in which the normal flow of bile is impaired in a woman's body resulting in itching.  I looked it up online, and it's not good if you have it.  It can cause still birth.  1 to 2 women out of 1000 get Cholestasis.  My results came back negative though, so I'm relieved in that.  However, my doctor is still concerned as my itching has not gone away.  Apparently some doctors don't know much about this disease and will ignore your itching symptoms.  I was lucky enough to have a doctor who is familiar with it.  She had to look up a bizarre code to get the lab test done, and then it had to be sent far away...took 2 weeks to get the results back.  That was a long 2 weeks.  Anyway, for more information, go to www.itchymoms.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment