Sunday, February 14, 2010

Gardening in Oregon

When it comes to gardening, I'm not an expert by any means.  It's just something I always grew up watching my grandma do, and I find it a lot of fun.  :)  I haven't gotten too creative with my planting in the past.  My staples are green beans, snow peas, tomatoes, and cucumbers.  However, I have tried onions, radishes, green onions, garlic, corn, pumpkins, and herbs.  I have done it both ways as far as planting inside and just starting my seed or plants outside.  I started my peas and green beans from seed outside and they were really healthy.  I always use tomato plant starts just because you can find them so cheap around here.  I always have WAY too many tomatoes.

You'll want to start some plants inside...like lettuces, onions, peppers, pumpkins, squash, watermelon, broccoli, cauliflower, and tomatoes.  (or you can just buy starts when it's time to plant them in the ground if you don't want to start from seed.)  If you're going to do seed starts inside, it's usually about 4-6 weeks before it's planting time that you want to start them inside.  Most root plants like potatoes or radishes start in March, and most melons start in May.  Most of the things I've planted, I started in May (except peas start in Feb)...but here's a chart to give some specifics on when to plant. Also, here is a great PDF link to Vegetable Gardening in Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment