Sunday, February 14, 2010

Why We Teach that Jesus Saves

"The Water Analogy" - by Marisa Frantz
(A fictional representation, from the perspective of the absurd)

 
There was a 6 year old boy in Ohio who survived after being under water for 67 minutes.  It was a miracle.  A possibility that no one accounted for.  Because of this, I have decided to focus most of my water safety education with my own children on the possibility of living under water for extended periods of time.  It will not be necessary for them to learn to swim.  In this way, they will grow up being well educated of all possibilities, and live fearless of the water.  Of course, I will let them know that I fully support them if they would like to learn to swim, as long as they know that it's not necessary for everyone. 

(Pause) - Now, let's think this through for a minute.  Who in their right mind would adhere to this nonsensical view?  But isn't that how some are viewing Christ's salvation to the unsaved?  Let me explain.

If God would save someone by faith and good works (an underwater miracle), never having truly known the Savior Jesus (Knowing how to swim), then let's re-frame everyone's ideas around this.  Don't bother teaching people Jesus is the only way, when there is a possibility their faith is enough.  Let people jump in the water of eternal life hoping on a miracle, rather than the Truth that's been given us in the Word of God.  If they want to evangelize (teach others to swim), and spread the news of Jesus, we fully support that too, as long as they know it is not necessary for everyone.

(Pause) - How absurd?!  My conclusion is this.  I will teach my children to swim because that is how they will be saved from death in the water.  I will tell people about Jesus, because this is how they will be saved from death in this life.  This is my priority...not a one in a million possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment